The Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis Trail runs along the site of the former Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis Railroad. From 1908 through 1935, state-of-the-art electric commuter trains ran along this route through Bowie and Glenn Dale, carrying passengers between Washington, DC, and Baltimore.
The 5.6 mile trail from Route 450 in Glenn Dale, running northeasterly to the Patuxent River, includes five bridge crossings, two tunnel crossings, and two at-grade intersections. Ancillary facilities include trail head parking and rest areas with benches, bike racks, and landscaping. The 10-foot wide bituminous trail runs from Glenn Dale through Bowie, and opened in November 2000. The trail will eventually be extended across the Patuxent River into Anne Arundel County.